Early Years Foundation Stage – September 2021
The Early Years Foundation Stage Framework (EYFS) sets out the learning and development stages for children as they grow from birth to five years.
From September 2021, the aims of the EYFS changes are to improve outcomes for children; strengthen their language development, particularly for children from disadvantaged backgrounds; and reduce workloads so that practitioners can spend more time with the children, supporting their learning.
How will your child be learning?
At Granby Nurseries, your child will be learning skills, acquiring new knowledge, and demonstrating their understanding through 7 areas of learning and development.
These are split into Prime and Specific areas. The prime areas are important because they lay the foundations for children’s success in all other areas of learning.
The specific areas provide the range of experiences and opportunities for children to broaden their knowledge and skills:
The Prime Areas of learning are:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development.
The Specific Areas of learning are:
- Understanding the World
- Expressive arts & design
As practitioners, we believe children learn best by playing & exploring and we plan activities linked to topics & children’s interests to ensure we cover all areas of learning.
How do we share this with you?
On your nursery app, you will receive information regarding mealtimes, sleep times & nappy changes.
You will also receive a daily diary with lovely photographs & learning intention of what your child/ren are enjoying whilst at nursery.
You will no longer be receiving daily observations as the practitioners will be spending quality time playing and engaging with the children.
We plan topics for each half term.
From September- October 2021, we will be focusing on All about me & Harvest.
From October – December 2021, we will be focusing on Autumn & Festivals.
To build on partnership with our parents, we will share lots of photographs via our Granby Carlton Facebook page to engage you in your child’s learning & we love parents to share your times together at home via the app.
Core books, rhymes, songs & poems
At Granby, we love to share & read books with the children. To encourage an early love of reading, we have recently adopted the ‘Core Book’ approach in our curriculum. We hope that by the time the children leave nursery they have an in-depth knowledge of our core books. The core books are chosen for their use of repetition, story structure and potential to trigger children’s imaginations.
Your child’s learning will have ongoing assessments including:
- A 2-year progress check which you can view on your app. The purpose of the 2-year check is to provide parents and/or carers with a short-written summary of their child’s development in the PRIME areas of learning, to help identify strengths and any areas needed support.
- Termly summative reports which you can view on your app. This will summarise your child’s learning from the previous term and inform you if your child is ‘on track’ or ‘not on track’ in all areas of learning.
- If your child happens to need more help in any area of development, we will work very closely with you and introduce an individual plan to support these areas.
We look forward to these changes & allow more time for us to engage in high quality interactions with the children
Thank you for reading, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to speak to a member of our team.